You may not be familiar with the word ‘Groupware’, but it often rings a bell when we hear the term ‘Collaborative Software Suite’. A Collaborative Software Suite usually consists of software that helps us to manage email, contacts, calendar, notes, etc. A Collaborative Software Suite or a Groupware is an integral component of a field of study known as Computer-Supported Cooperative Work or CSCW. We would like to share with top 5 Open Source Collaborative Software Suite you can try.
Kopano Collaborative Software Suite is a fork of Zarafa. Kopano Core and WebApp together provide all traditional groupware functionality such as e-mail, calendar, contacts, etc. There is also a desktop app called DeskApp with similar functions and features of the WebApp. WebAapp can be integrated with many plugins such as Files for cloud and storage access, web meetings for video conference, S/MIME for mail encryption support, etc. One could also write new plugins using the WebApp Plugin API.
- Advanced Calendaring
- File Sharing
- S/MIME Add-on
- Web Meetings with high-quality Audio, Video, Chat and Presentation Tools
- Integration options for any LDAPv3-based User Directory
Zimbra Collaboration Suite
Zimbra Collaboration Suite (ZCS) consists of both client-server components and a desktop client. ZCS Web Client is a full-featured Collaboration Suite Software that supports email, group calendars, and document sharing while Zimbra Desktop is just a desktop email client. ZCS Server consists of several open source projects such as Postfix, MariaDB, ClamAV, etc. ZCS can synchronize mail, contacts, and calendar items with open-source mail clients such as Evolution.
- Calendar Wizard
- Modern and Intuitive Web Interface
- Simplified, Task-Oriented Web Administration
- Integrated Anti-Spam, Antivirus and Directory Services
- HTML5 Offline Mode
- Mobile Device Synchronization (Android, iOS & Windows)
- Flexible Deployment and Virtualization-Ready
Egroupware Collaborative Software Suite helps organizations to collaborate in a secure and function-rich environment, supporting integrated project teams across and within organizational boundaries. EGroupware is based on PHP and thus it can be said to be platform-independent.
- Contacts Manager
- File manager
- Infolog for Tasks and Notes
- Integrated Project Manager
- SiteMgr: Web-based Authoring System with fine granulated Access Control Lists
- Knowledge Base
- CalDAV and CardDAV Server
- Address Books
- Bulletin Board/Forums
- Mailing List Server
- Instant Messaging
- Wiki and Blog Engines
- Multiple Domain Support
- Powerful Web Interface
- RSS Aggregation
Horde Groupware is a free, enterprise-ready, browser-based Collaborative Software Suite. Users can manage and share calendars, contacts, tasks, notes, files, etc. The Horde Project is about creating high-quality open source applications, based on PHP and the Horde Framework.
- Dynamic, Basic and Mobile Interfaces
- Unlimited Resources per User
- Global Tagging System
- Online Help System (Instant Online Assistance)
- Integrated User Management, Group Support, and Permissions System
- Abstract Database Support